Welcome to Sacramento! Are you new to town and would like to perform locally? Are you a student looking for an instructor in your area? Or maybe just a belly-enthusiast looking for events in the area? Here are a few steps to getting involved in the Sacramento Bellydance Community:
1) Check out our Events page, featuring Bellydance events in and around the Sacramento area. Start performing at local haflas and events. The best way to make belly-friends is to show up to support the local scene. We’ll be glad to have you!
2) Check out our Instructors page, with a complete listing of Sacramento’s most qualified instructors. Even the most seasoned professional will benefit from getting to know the local instructors and workshop scene.
3) Get to know our local Professional Performers. Go see a few shows, say hello! We are always happy to welcome a dancer into our community.
Are you a professional dancer looking to perform at local restaurants? Here are a few guidelines for breaking into Sacramento’s Professional dance scene:
– Attend local restaurant performances and get to know the protocol for each venue. When approaching a restaurant about performing there, ask who does their dance schedule and first introduce yourself to that person. She will schedule you for an audition with the owner, and go from there! Here are our current local talent-bookers:
Marrakech Moroccan Restaurant: Mychelle Crown
Kasbah Lounge: Owner
Criteria for Restaurant Performing
Familiarize yourself with the criteria for Professional Dancers in your area. In Sacramento, our restaurant owners would like you to meet this basic criteria before scheduling your audition:
- At least two years of training under a qualified instructor.
- A resume of regular performance experience.
- Professional promotional materials (i.e. business cards, website, etc).
- A Performance kit of (at least) two professional costumes, including professional hair and make-up, and music suitable for the venue.
- Professional conduct, including dependability, punctuality, and pleasant attitude.
- Great audience skills and a big smile!